Modern Science and technology has acquired enormous precision, accuracy and power to probe in depth the hidden mysteries of biological and physical world. Workers in different disciplines all over the world are gradually building up a huge database of precious knowledge. Information technology and library systems have undoubtedly played a significant role in these developments by storing this information and by facilitating access to existent knowledge to the right persons at a right time and place.
To provide library facilities to its students, faculty and the staff, D.A-V. College has a magnificent three storeyed library building established in 1956 which covers 9000 SQ Feet carpet area. The Library was formally inaugurated by Honourable Sri C.D.Deshmukh, the First Chairman of the University Grants Commission in the year 1960. Today it has a collection of over 95,000 books and other reading materials. For organizing and maintaining its collection and catering to the service of its users, the library has sufficient by trained library staff. To provide the necessary library services and facilities the Central Library has more that 45 staff members including well qualified college Librarian, two Deputy Librarians, two cataloguers, thirty clerk-cum-library assistants and 18 library attendants.
Anand Swaroop Central Library, D.A-V. College, strives to cater to the needs of about twenty-five thousand students, its faculty members and staff. Keeping in view the rapidly changing trends in the era of Globalization and the Application of Information and Computer technology in each and every sphere of life, the college is committed to provide modern facilities to the students at par with other National Institutions. With a view to providing excellent browsing facilities, the college has already started automating and modernizing the library and its services.
Admission to Anand Swarup Library is conditional upon the observance of the Rules & Regulations as determined by the Library Committee. The Library Committee has power to exclude from the Library buildings or services any person whom it has reason to believe cannot be trusted with access to books and/or services. It is presumed that all users of the Library are aware of its Rules and Regulations, copies of which are available in the Library. These Rules shall also apply to all staff members. The Library Committee is empowered to issue Rules governing the operation of the central library as and when necessary. These Regulations do not apply to the departmental libraries, the use of which is subject to the procedures and conditions prescribed by the departments concerned.
- Library Rules concerning opening and closing schedules, borrowing arrangements and announcements of changes affecting the use of the Library, shall be publicly displayed in the Library.
- Users are required to treat the library environment, and the library staff with respect and courtesy. Should any incident be reported, library authorities will pursue the matter with the appropriate authority.
- The Library remains open on all working days from 10.00A.M. to 4.00 P.M. unless otherwise specified by the college.
- Books are for consultation only; no user is allowed to make use of library books in any other manner.
- Books shall be issued and returned on all working days from 10.00 A.M. to 2.00 P.M
- The library card will be issued to each student after proper verification of admission documents and the valid college Identity Card.
- The library card is not transferable. Damage to or loss of card should be immediately reported to the Deputy Librarian. New card can be issued after proper verification and on payment of fees as prescribed from time to time.
- A maximum of two books can be issued at a time to each student for a period not exceeding 15 days from the date of issue.
- A late fee of Rs.1 per book per day shall be charged as fine if the user retains the book beyond the specified period of return.
- Silence is to be maintained as far as possible throughout the Library buildings except in areas specifically set aside for discussion. Any violation of this will result in penalization/expulsion.
- Magazines, Periodicals, Newspapers, Reference material and rare and costly books will be issued only for reading within the Central Library.
- Students are required to Produce Membership/ Identity Card at the counter when so demanded.
- Every user shall enter his/ her name and membership number in the entrance register while entering the Central Library at all times.
- All personal items including books are prohibited from being taken inside the Central Library and these wil723l be left at the property counter on owner’s risk at the entrance gate.
- Marking, defacing, mutilating or altering of books or services provided by the Library is strictly forbidden, and also the damaging or unauthorized movement of Library fittings, furniture and equipment.
- Arrangements for controlling access to the Library by visitors shall be determined by the Librarian.
- Smoking, eating, drinking and the use of mobile phones is not permitted in the library.
- The Librarian can suspend issue of book at any time without assigning any reason thereto.
- The Librarian can recall issued books at any time if it is deemed fit.
- An act of responsibility can contribute immensely to the overall functioning of the library.
Penalty for Irresponsible Conduct
Users may be penalized for intentional damage to library property including books, periodicals, magazines, and other valuable materials.
Return of library material at the end of each session
All library materials must be returned to the library, on or before the date notified by the library. Failure to return library materials by the due date may lead to debarring of the defaulter from taking the annual examination.